Most of us simply run a vacuum over a carpet and call it clean, but the truth is that the fibers in carpets can hold a massive amount of germs. In fact, some carpets can be 4,000 times dirtier than your toilet seat, according to microbiologist Dr. Philip Tierno.
“Rugs are botanical and zoological parks,” Tierno told Mens Health. He estimates that hundreds of thousands of different species can live in a carpet. That can lead to an army of dangerous germs, including E.coli, salmonella, staphylococcus, among others.
Basically, every time you walk on a carpet barefooted, you are potentially exposing yourself to thousands of germs and possible illnesses.
As a result of this disturbing revelation, Dr. Tierno recommends that you hire a company to do a deep steam-cleaning at least once a year, if not more. While Dr. Tierno recommends this primarily for health reasons, there are other benefits to frequently hiring carpet cleaners.
Along with the potential elimination of germs:
- Cleaning carpets can help prolong the life of the carpet.
- Carpets can hold allergens along with germs, so cleaning them can improve indoor air quality.
- Stains that were incorrectly treated can seem to disappear, but it may be temporary if they aren’t properly cleaned.
- A clean carpet is easier to maintain. After cleaning a carpet, dried materials are easier to vacuum.
- Throwing away dirty carpets simply moves the germs to a new location. Cleaning them is better for the environment, as well as for you.
- The carpets simply look and feel better.
Choose your service wisely
Many professional carpet cleaners in Horry County offer multiple types of cleaning services, from heavy stains to water damage to removing pet stains.
Some companies simply rinse the carpets and flush the dirty water down the drain. This creates a concentrated chemical mix that can find its way back into the water system. Only a few cleaners use cleaning products that are green, non-toxic, and biodegradable. It is worth seeking them out.